When planning your next event keep in mind how crucial it is to book an experienced event photographer. Most clients we work with always tell us that a reliable photographer is very important to their event day because they want to make sure that all key moments are captured. When you have spent months, sometimes over a year, planning for a one-day celebration your photographer ensures that every last detail is captured so that you can look back at what was achieved.
Below are five questions we like to ask photographers when we first meet with them.
1. Can you share your portfolio for review? Make sure you get a sense of their abilities for varied shots which should include; décor shots, posed shots, and action shots. If you are hosting a corporate event it’s important that the photographer understand the importance of capturing sponsorship opportunities. Always provide your photographer with your ‘desired shot list’.
2. How many hours are included in your package? Make sure to clarify what time they will start and end so that you can structure important photos within these time frames. If you are planning a wedding a great photographer will practically become part of the bridal party, moving with you from each location to capture the story that is being told throughout the day. Make sure that you get along with their personality as well as the personality of their staff because you will end up spending many hours with them.
3. Does your package include one photographer or two? Depending on the size of your guest list a second photographer can make a great difference. This applies to both corporate events as well as weddings. You want to ensure that there is one photographer to capture cued moments like speeches and entrances while the second shooter is available to capture action shots and event décor. When hiring a photographer for a wedding we always ask if the shooters split up to shoot the bride and groom getting ready or if they travel together from one location to the other? This will impact how the hours in your package are used.
4. What services does your photography package include? Ex. Editing, printing, hard cover albums, same-day edits for press etc. Ask yourself what is important to you. If you are looking to save on costs you might prefer to receive your images in digital format so that you can print the quantity that suits your needs. Make sure that editing is included in your base package. We strongly recommend discussing any needs for same-day or next day edits. If you need photos ready within 24 hours to deliver to press or to print off for thank you cards it’s important to discuss this with your photographer before you sign off on your package as an extra cost might be required for the quick turn-around time.
5. Have you ever shot in the event space (or one similar) before? Some of the best photographers in the city still haven’t shot at every venue but you want to make sure that they understand the aesthetics of your venue, having previously worked in a similar space they will be able to advise you what locations are best for lighting and shadows etc. If they haven’t shot in the space before connect them with your event planner so that they can tag along for the next site visit. This is an important question if you are planning a destination event, get a sense if the photographer has traveled with their equipment before and what extra costs are associated.
These are just some of the questions we like to ask photographers before signing contracts with them. As most of you know we have a great working relationship with Tiffany McMillin Photography who provided the beautiful photos in today’s post. Contact her with your event photography inquiries. Alternatively, contact us for a list of other preferred event photographers.Happy planning!